Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 51 (Friday 8/10/12)- Billings, MT

After getting our fill on $1 soda we hit the road to Billings. The drive wasn't quite as long as yesterday and went by fairly quickly.
What's the only thing Billings offers that beautiful Yellowstone and Glacier can't? Clothes shopping. It doesn't offer much of anything else, so shopping was the only item on the docket.

The mall in Billings is large and at first appears to consist only of Dillard's. Indeed the store is so large men's and women's apparel require their own separate buildings, but once inside we discovered that there were plenty of other stores in the mall as well. Despite the variety I was an uncreative shopper, only chosing stores I could easily visit back home. On the upside I walked out with a new fedora (so much for the uncreative shopper) and a purse for $9! Meeting back up with Isaiah at the car, I realized I had not completely used up his generousity and patience and proceeded to hit up a thrift store across the street.

Isaiah had hoped to come along, but at first glance Runway clothes appeared to be just for the ladies (in the end they did have a very small men's section but he was already back at the car). (I think I might have passed anyway. I'm not sure that I would find anything to wear at a place called "Runway Clothes"). Despite the minimal male section it was a gigantic store and it took me an hour to end up with one item. Somehow my zeal was lost on Isaiah but he was gracious about it and even agreed to one last stop at the Goodwill.

Right outside Billings is the small industrial town of Laurel, which is where we chose to stay the night. After trying to see Laurel's night life (it doesn't have any) we settled instead for parking at the Walmart and making phone calls home.

(Bit of a boring day for me. I got to read and relax, which was nice. In addition to all the stupid shopping, I'd describe Billings as Montana's Spokane. Enough said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment